Colwal Fund for Excluded Workers
At Adelante, we believe in mutual aid—by lending each other a hand, we can support our community through this crisis.
That’s why we’ve established the Colwal Fund, which will provide direct support in the form of a one-time cash grant to eligible low-wage workers in the Birmingham area who have been adversely affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, yet excluded from government relief programs. Colwal means “help or support” in Q’anjob’al, one of several indigenous languages spoken by Adelante’s members. Through mutual aid and community support, we hope to continue empowering and uplifting some of the most vulnerable in our communities.
We’ve reached our $100,000 fundraising goal!
Thanks to everyone who participated in the #ShareMyCheck movement, we were able to raise more than $100,000 for excluded workers in our community. Even though we’re no longer accepting donation for our Colwal Fund, you can donate to Adelante Alabama Worker Center directly and help us continue to fight for excluded workers in Birmingham.
We’re asking individuals who receive a stimulus check but have not suffered adverse economic consequences from COVID-19 to redistribute their check and other funds (gas, going out) they have saved. Share what inspired you to donate your check to the Colwal Fund on social media with the #ShareMyCheck.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The word “Colwal” comes from the Guatemalan indigenous language Q’anjob’al and means “help” or “support”. At Adelante, we believe in mutual aid—by lending each other a hand, we can support our community through this crisis.
This fund will provide financial relief to some of Birmingham’s most vulnerable families who have been excluded from government stimulus benefits
- Will help put food on the table
- Pay the rent or utility bills of someone who is struggling because their hours were reduced or, they were laid off or furloughed
- Keep small, family-run businesses open or help those who are self-employed
Those who qualify will receive a one-time payment of $500.
- Individual Donors – We’re asking individuals who receive a stimulus check but have not suffered adverse economic consequences from COVID-19 to redistribute their check and other funds (gas, going out) they have saved.
- Foundation Grants
- Organizational Donors
- We will accept donations as long as need exists and funds are available. To continue to support workers throughout the year, you can also sign-up to be a recurring donor to Adelante by clicking here.
- We are now accepting applications for the Colwal Fund. Please fill out this short eligibility survey: bit.ly/ApicaColwal
- If you qualify, an organizer will reach out to you as soon as possible to fill out the complete application together.
- We will continue accepting applications/dispensing funds as long as funds are available.
- In order to be eligible to receive a grant through the fund, an applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Lives in the Birmingham metro area (Jefferson and Shelby Counties)
- Is a low-wage worker or unemployed
- Must be 18 or older
- Has lost their job, had their wages or hours reduced, or is experiencing other serious adverse economic effects due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Is excluded from benefits provided through federal and state stimulus programs, including the federal tax rebate check and state unemployment benefits
- Members of Adelante’s Staff, Board of Directors, and the Selection Committee, and their immediate family members (parents, spouses, and children), are not eligible to apply.
- Once someone has applied, our Selection Committee composed of members of Adelante’s organization, Board of Directors, and staff will evaluate the applications and determine if someone is eligible, based on the criteria listed above.
- As long as funds are available, the Selection Committee will meet periodically and dispense awards on a rolling basis. They will begin reviewing applications on April 24.
- You can check out our list of “Community Resources,” which are also listed under the COVID-19 tab in English and Spanish or click here.
- For questions about the fund, please contact Adelante at (205) 317-1481, email@example.com, or send us a message on Facebook @adelantealabama.